FAQs

1. I need a fire report, how do I get one?

2. I don’t have a smoke detector, where can I get one?

3. What is a Carbon Monoxide detector and why do I need one?

4. What am I allowed to burn?

5. I had a fire what do I do now?


1. I need a fire report, how do I get one?

Fire reports are usually available 2-3 business days after the incident at no cost.

Fire reports can be obtained by contacting Sugar Creek Fire Department Headquarters anytime between 8am and 3pm, Monday through Friday at 812-533-1774 and requesting a copy. You will need to have the address and date of the incident handy.

2. I don’t have a smoke detector, where can I get one?

Smoke Detectors can be purchased at most home improvement stores and department stores.  Occasionally we have some available to the general public at no cost as long as you live in our fire protection area. Contact Sugar Creek Fire Department Headquarters anytime between 8am and 3pm, Monday through Friday at 812-533-1774 to find out if we have any availible.

3. What is a Carbon Monoxide detector and why do I need one?

Carbon monoxide detectors detect carbon monoxide (CO) gas.  CO gas is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas which is highly toxic to humans and animals.  A malfunctioning gas appliance or a running vehicle in and enclosed garage can fill your home full of carbon monoxide. Exposure to carbon monoxide is most commonly accompanied by the following symptoms:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Flu-like symptoms, fatigue
  • Impaired judgment
  • Chest pain
  • Confusion
  • Drowsiness

Long term exposure can lead to unconsciousness and death. If your carbon monoxide detector sounds call 911 immediately. We have special detectors that look for concentrations of carbon monoxide and help us to identify the problem.

4. What am I allowed to burn?

Please review the Vigo County Burn Ordinance here: http://www.vigocounty.in.gov/egov/docs/1084821445_482238.pdf

5. I had a fire what do I do now?

Below is a link to guide from USFA filled with important information that will help you recover from a fire in your home.

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/citizens/all_citizens/atf/